Friday, May 1, 2009

When They Don't Like It

How do you deal with the people who don't like your idea, or product? Have you had anyone actually tell you they don't like it? I have, well sort of. My experience has been that people have gushed and been so impressed that I have a product, that they can't see the item itself, for any real intent or purpose. They hold the glove, slide the zipper and just keep saying, "Wow, you really created this?" The only people who have been less than impressed are the people who have never put a glove on a kids hand, and then they just sort of look at me with a, "Duh" kind of blank stare.

Now that we have placed an order and actually have these wheels in motion, I'm noticing more feedback. Everything from why are they black to water resistant, why not waterproof? I have my mentors telling me I should have done this or that (Mark, you know I appreciate all your feedback, but where were you 6 months ago?), when in fact, the decisions are made, and the deal is done for this coming season.

The reality is you have to keep moving and making decisions while you learn. I'm no expert and looking at the black gloves that I vowed would never exist, you can see that I've compromised. Good thing for me, I can see the bigger picture and this is just round one of many. Next year they will be in colors and in three times as many stores. I will have taken copious notes from those guiding me, and I will continue to have to make decisions while I'm still not an expert.

Not everyone will like what we do. That's okay but I want to know. I'll bet that whatever it is they don't like is our next "New and Improved" glove. To hear how great you and/or it is feels good, but you'll never get the mileage out of the good stuff that you will from the negative feedback. It's all in how you look at it. If they don't like it, ask why, and then really listen. That's probably the best feedback you'll ever get.

2 comments:

  1. The best thing is like you say, just to listen.

    I'm sure I will hear negative things about my products, but ya know what?
    It can't be half as bad as the responses recieved by the guy who invented that shower arm thing to make the shower bigger!

    Be happy you are not him and as far as the rest goes, you are learning, listening and getting better with each passing moment.

    I think you're doing GREAT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are kindered spirits! Thank you for being my friend! Lots and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete