Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Glad That One's Over!

My last post shared my crappy day. This led me to ask the question, "Is it okay to tell the truth when you're feeling crappy, or is it better to smile and make nice?"

I feel the answer lies somewhere in between. If you know people well, you certainly can tell the whole truth. But even with people who you may not know so well, I think it's okay to be who and where you are.

My feelings are that I don't think people want to open an e-mail or get a blog update that finds them smack in the middle of a pity party. It's no fun to know your friends are down, especially when there's nothing you can do. It also doesn't appeal to me to think of bringing people down when I'm down. The flip side is that people want to help and they need to know you're real. Someone said to me, if you don't ever show the other sides of you, people will think A) you are superwoman who they could never live up to, and/or B) you're a fake. I agree.

I'm up and optimistic most of the time. When the weight of the world starts to get to me, I may feel it for a bit, but then I take action. I start looking for the ways I can make changes that are proactive. I think the world would be a better place if we had social permission to have a bad day and not feel like we're "less than" for it.

Ultimately I believe that having my health, the love of my family and friends are the most important aspects of life. When I'm having a crap day, I recognize I'm still able, and I can be who I am and I will still be loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment