Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is It Ever What You Think It's Gonna Be?

I say rarely. I can't say never because I try to make a practice of not saying "Always" and "Never."

Think back for a moment and try to remember a time that what you envisioned at the start of a journey was exactly what you got at the end. I look at my life and for the most part, I've laid some pretty good plans. I've taken action on most of my dreams, but the ones that have been the most satisfying are not even close to what I thought they would be when I started.

A great example is my marriage. I am married to the love of my life and can't imagine that I could be happier. When I was single and really wanting to be in a relationship, Dave was a friend of mine. He was the friend I called when I got stood up (Oh yes I did, more than once!), when a guy had "expectations" after a burger and fries, and when I was dumped in South Korea. In an instant, we were a couple, having a conversation about how the universe had shifted, and within a few months, we were engaged, and three days after that, married. After being friends for six years, I never in a million years thought this man was meant to be my husband. For the record, I fully intended to be happily married. I was not willing to settle, I just never imagined that the man who would make me so happy would be Dave!

I purposely didn't use our ZipperBack Gloves as an example because we've only just begun our journey. But I can say this, I originally set out to license our product. I was adamant that I did not want to go into the glove business. Though I don't have any big success stories in how our empire has evolved and grown, I can say that on so many levels, we have found success and have every reason to believe we will only keep that momentum growing.

Lay a plan, take action, and then go with the flow. Be open to what options and ideas are presented to you and that some of these "not your own" ideas may be really good. Though it may not be what you thought it would be, doesn't mean it won't be great!

7 comments:

  1. Great advice! You and Dave are a great team Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy!

    For a beginner it is very inspiring.

    Being friends is a great foundation for any relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice story mixed in with great advice, thanks Kathy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I've only learned one thing in all my 43 years, it's to ride the river. Stay in an upright, seated position with your head out of the water as much as you can and enjoy the ride! It's my perfect analogy for life! I'm so glad to have you guys as my friends. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops, typo, let's not let that one go...FORTY-TWO...42....4-2...forty two years! Laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. Thanks. I am smiling b/c I love that you are happy and I love that you wrote this with such heart. I look forward to getting to know you better. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ginelle! And you know, you live so close to me, we should plan a meet-up for coffee or lunch. I know our lives are busy, but let's keep an open mind and know it will happen!

    ReplyDelete