Wednesday, May 27, 2009

From What Do you Wear To Where Do You Work?

Today my hubby Dave and I had a marital meeting with regard to finances, expectations, the glove journey, and all my endeavors to bring home a real paycheck.

We both agreed that the setback with poison oak was legitimate (meaning I needed to stay home and get well) and that I have so many irons in the fire, it's hard to tend to any of them well. He's absolutely right, I need to get organized and get focused! I certainly would be at a regular job on time, stay the length of my shift, and do the best job I could do while punched in. Why is it so hard to stay focused when we work from home? Lord knows it's real work, and lots of it!

Dave's answer was ready and waiting. "You need to get off the bed and work from a table and chair. Better yet, we will get your office back in shape and you can work from there. Psychologically, the bed is a bad desk." Hmm. He might be right, but I love working from my bedroom. The light in here is better than anywhere else in the house. The bed is nice and big when it's just me sitting here. And, I face my vision board all the hours I'm working from my bed.

I know, I know, there are people who make their living in bed, that's not me. I just mean, sitting on your made bed working on your computer. What do you think, is the bed a bad place to work?

5 comments:

  1. Yes it is. I find that when it is necessary for me to work upstairs, even in my living room on the couch, I don't work as efficiently as I do when I'm in my office space where all the business tasks that need completion are facing me directly. I also just realized that once I'm up there for a day, I tend to not go back to the office for a whole week. Why? Because it feels nice to pretend I don't have as much as I do waiting for me once in a while. In the office, it's all up to snuff and then some (extra's in advance). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too tempting for me to just take a nap and forget about working. I like a full keypad and mouse so a laptop does not work for my big hands.

    -Stephen
    www.inventionaddict.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would drive me nuts working from a bed. It would definately slow me down. Nope, it can't be a good idea. Bed is for sleeping :-)

    Bad for the back too. With koen gone, I'm going down to his office and taking his vibrating/ massage office chair..woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would need to have a separate office space to work. I would easily get distracted by other things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, okay, I'm out numbered! I can't promise I'll work at my desk everyday, but I've already set up my space in a corner of the kitchen. Tania, you need that vibrating chair in the bedroom! Laughing! Thanks for all the feedback. Dave wins!

    ReplyDelete