Monday, April 20, 2009

"Oh, I Could Never Do That!"

Have you ever heard someone say those words? Or worse, have you said them yourself? It's not in my nature to say never so I can't recall the last time words like those passed over my lips. I can tell you that since I've entered the world of product development and inventing, I've heard those six words over and over again!

I can look at my own history and see the familiar, "I didn't know what I didn't know, so I didn't know I couldn't." Did you get that? Laughing! It never occurred to me that developing a product and getting it to store shelves was anything other than just another job. It certainly didn't fall into the category of landing a national commercial, or any commercial for that matter. In my mind, now that's hard work!

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not one to shy away from a challenge, so it didn't occur to me that I couldn't do that either. I started by finding classes, a photographer to take my pictures, an agent to represent me, and off I went on audition after audition. Before I knew it, I was doing local commercials (Beck's Shoes and Hewlett Pacakard), regional commercials (Friendly's restaurants for TV and Albertson's radio spots), and industrials (Volkswagon and WalMart). I even did an infomercial for a teeth whitening product. If you happened to be awake a 3 AM and saw the infomercial for RapidWhite Pro that ends with a red-head saying, "RapidWhite Pro makes me feel sexy!" That's me. The national commercial is yet to come, but rest assured, it will air!

You can do anything you want to do. You can find the information to get the ball rolling, you can rally the people who can help you get to the next level, and you too, can see your product on store shelves. As you get to know me, you'll know the saying I'm most known for is, "Whatever you think, you're right." If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, guess what? Exactly! So, what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I agree :-)

    I use to tell people that I didn't know I couldn't do things, so I did them.

    My children now do the same thing and they enjoy the success when they get there.

    People hold themselves back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We are certianly raising our kids with a different mentality. Lucky them!

    ReplyDelete