Friday, April 24, 2009

What's In A Logo?

I've researched this over the last year and the articles, forums, How-To's, and What-Fors are many. Everybody seems to have a little different take on what's the second most important factor when it comes to selecting a logo, but all agree on number one. The main point you want to make with you logo is, 'This is who we are" from the moment they lay eyes on that little piece of art. In the professional world, it's your brand. It differentiates you from all other's and hopefully from all other's like you.

Our logo is good, but it's not great. Part of the problem is that our company is so new, and even worse, we're new at running it. Another issue is that there wasn't just one person responsible for the criteria and selection of the logo. I wanted a logo that could go the distance, one that would cover our initial children's product and carry us through to our adult line as well. Dave wanted a logo that really fit our kids product. Finally, the other two people on our team wanted something more corporate, less graffiti looking.

We ended up with a logo that was a variation of the image I loved. Dave made the changes and I felt that I needed to choose my battles, and this was one that wasn't as important to me...so I thought. As it turns out, I care about it more that I thought I would. I have the artwork for the logo that I would have gone with, the one that we modified to make Dave happy. I'm silently intent on finding a way to use the one I love. If you're logo really speaks to who you are as a company, you won't find yourself thinking about the one that got away.

If I were to advise someone in need of a logo, I know you didn't ask, but you're still reading aren't you? I would advise them to operate their business for a while before choosing their logo. In reality, it takes time to get up and running and for people to know who you are. Pick your business name, present something really clean and basic, and get acquainted with your company before you give it an identity. You'll do a better job and come up with something that really indicates, not only to your public, but where it's most important, to you!

When you're ready, a really great logo resource is www.logotournament.com It's a contest format where you post a "prize" for the designer of you the logo you choose. The minimum prize is $250.00. Designers from all around the globe compete for your prize money and the opportunity to be the artist for your logo. We used logotournament.com and found that the more we ranked and gave feedback, the more logos we had to choose from. A great resource for new companies who want high quality design.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Sally. Maybe I'll post the logo I wanted to go with. I'll have to ponder the consequences of that! Laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea for just 250 bucks....hire a branding company and you are into 6 grand pretty quick!

    ReplyDelete