Friday, August 28, 2009

My Message To Entrepreneurs

Do you have an idea? An invention? I say, "Go for it!" You don't need a boatload of money to pursue an invention. Dave and I had this idea years ago and actually took action in January 2008. Here we are just 19 months later getting ready for our first trade show and our product will be on store shelves in mere months. Don't have time? Dave is full time, active duty military, and when we started this venture, I had a full time sales career. You can do it!

The really amazing thing about this story is that we have not paid a penny for prototyping, samples, or manufacturing. The only money we've spent has been for our legal fees with writing and filing our patent application. Not every idea needs a patent. In fact, "First to Market" is often more effective and a lot less expensive than applying for a patent. How have we done this you might wonder. I don't know what the technical answer is, but I can tell you what I think it is, I asked.

It really is as simple as that. I called US manufacturers of snow gloves and talked to them about my idea. I originally wanted to license the idea with the provision that I would introduce it to the marketplace as mom invented, and then they could run with it. The couple of companies that I was able to have a dialog with, really saw that our idea was good, sound, and needed. They liked the hole in the children's market we were filling and they liked my initiative to pick up the phone and cold call, as I did each of them. The company that is now our manufacturer and distributor paid for six rounds of prototyping, 35 pair of sample gloves, and the polish on the design for the hang tag. We worked on a general look and their graphics department made it look spiffy and professional. From there, they provided us with an additional 50 hang tags for when we needed to replace a torn one. They also provided 75 pair of retail ready gloves that they deferred billing on until October 14th, 2009. It is possible to get the help you need when your idea is a good one, and you ask

So what's stopping you from pursuing your idea? If it's important to you, you'll make time, and don't tell me it's money because I won't buy it, not even for a single dollar!

3 comments:

  1. What can I really say, other than GREAT FREAKIN JOB YOU TWO!!!

    I want to go and play with all the pretty colored pull tags :-)))

    People have to want it bad enough. You did, and now look...I can't stop smiling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job:-)
    Looks like all of your hard work has paid off.
    I am very happy for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks friends! You guys rock! It hasn't paid off yet, in fact, it hasn't paid at all! Laughing. Acutally, that's not true, it's paid in pride and a sense of accomplishment beyond what any dollar can provide. You ladies are on your way, too! If I can help, I know you will ask! Big Smiles!

    ReplyDelete