Monday, August 17, 2009

Does Emotion Have A Place In Business?

My initial answer is "no." I can reconcile that there are businesses that require emotion, but even a business such as hospice, medical, and other sensitive-issue fields, at the end of the day there are expenses to be met and with that, there is no place for emotion. Notoriously, this has been why men have been perceived as better at business than women. I'm here to tell you, not so. I know many men who become very emotional about their businesses, especially when it's something they've created, a product, an invention, and so on.

Here's my take on this, no matter what kind of business you have, you are still a person. Being human mean you feel and feeling is part of what makes up passion. Passion is an important part of loving what you do. With that said, we are all emotional sometimes, but in reality, if you look at the facts and figures, take the emotion out of your business decisions, you are likely going to have better success and stronger relationships. You are in control of how you feel and whether or not you react with emotion. This may or may not be flawed thinking, but it's how I feel about it. I'll give you another example of non-emotional thinking in business on Wednesday. In the meantime, what do you think about emotion and business?

3 comments:

  1. I believe that emotions do plays a part in business. You just need to know when "you" need to take it out of the equation.

    If your emotions are causing you to not think rationally, that can be a problem.

    But being passionate about your work or business can be a driving force to your success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sally, I agree about passion, and emotion plays a part in that, but business is business. Every time I've let emotion squeak in on a decision that ultimately was just about facts and figures, it's ended up biting me in the butt! I do however believe you can be firm in business (meaning unemotional) and still be kind. This is all still simmering with me, so it's entirely possible I can change my stance. Laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't let emotion get in the way of a business decision. I'd fire my grandmother if it was for the better of the business.
    Then buy her something nice and after that,LOL

    Business is business and that is it, for me. Heck, I'd even fire myself,hiring a replacment if my business grew and I didn't have the ability to keep up...nothing personal...but I'd also buy myself something nice to make up to me :-))

    ReplyDelete