Friday, August 7, 2009

I Saved An Inventor $1800!

Once people know about the glove project, they come to me with the questions of how did I do that and who did I know to call. One of the parents from Mason's school asked me about a product idea he has and as I was sharing with him what I know, he informed me that he sent his idea to an invention company. He went on to say that they wanted $1800 from him to secure the patent, in his name, and bring his product to market. I asked him what was in it for them. He didn't know. I suspect a lot.

My thoughts during our conversation were to absolutely not pay $1800, file a provisional patent application on his own, and start shopping this idea to companies that may be interested in licensing it. In the meantime, look into what it would cost to manufacture just in case that's the road he ended up traveling. He felt like he found a resource in me and I felt good that he wasn't handing over too much money when in all likelihood, this deal was not going to shake out the way it was presented initially.

What do you think? Have you ever seen success from an invention company? I haven't.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you can pass along the knowledge you have to help a fellow inventor:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Sally, I'm not an expert, but I can certainly share what I have learned! What's new with your project?

    ReplyDelete